Things You Will Need:
– 1 Basket (Dollar Store – $1)
– Various Foot Toys/Toy Parts (Costs range based on what you are using!)
– Crinkle Paper (Dollar Store – about $0.25 worth)
– Seed or other treat (varies)
Total Cost: Anywhere from $2 on up! Mine has about $5 worth of materials in it.
Total Time: Mere Moments
Step 1: Clean your basket and add a small layer of seed, pellets, etc. You can skip this step if you do not want to make this a foraging opportunity for your bird.
Step 2: Toss in some foot toys, toy parts, etc. Anything goes!
Step 3: Add in crinkle paper!
Step 4: Add Parrots!
Step 5: Enjoy the serenity and joy brought on by having your birds entertained!
I have found that my Quakers and Green Cheek were definitely more interested in this than my Hahns and Jardine's, but I have seen this style of toy enjoyed by many birds ranging from cockatiels, conures, budgies, and more!
Other variation I have also done:
- Use a shallow cardboard box (like the kind canned veggies come on)
- Use a glass baking dish
- Do a smaller version inside the cage that clips to the side
- Use a paper pulp egg carton and put the seeds inside the cups, and then cover with foot toys and shred paper
One thing to note is that if your bird is hormonal, this may be seen as a nesting area. Definitely something to keep an eye on!